Indie writers have it tough.
From the writing to the promotion of our books and stories, we’re responsible for every step of the publishing process. Even those of us who sign with indie and boutique publishers have to do significantly more legwork than those who get in with the big houses.
There’s no shame in being indie, but we can definitely use all the help we can get. Word of mouth goes a long way in helping our work gain traction, and being part of a strong community helps. Goodness knows any success I’ve seen so far has been because of the people who have helped raise me up.
Now it’s time to help pay it forward.
I’ve never aspired to be a book blogger. But I know how crucial reviews are to a book’s overall success – indie or not – which is why I’ve decided to start reviewing books as part of my blogging routine.
Here’s the catch though: I’m only going to be accepting ARCs and review copies from indie and self-published authors. After all, we don’t have big marketing machines behind us – we’ve got to have each other’s backs!
If you need a sense of just how desperately needed indie reviewers are, I floated this idea on Twitter yesterday afternoon and was instantly swarmed by fellow writers looking for reviews. Where is the love??
The response was so overwhelming that I’ve already had to close submissions for the time being. But I’ll be opening my inbox to new submissions soon! When I do, here are here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Indie or self-published books and stories only, please! (Web novels/serials count too.)
- My audience is primarily interested in LGBT+ focused fantasy, sci-fi, and NA/YA stories and poems. I like supporting #OwnVoices works.
- I reserve the right to turn a review down if I don’t think it’ll be a good fit for my audience or if I don’t have the time to take it on.
- I will post an honest review here on my blog but will also cross-post to Amazon and/or Good Reads.
- If your story hasn’t been published yet, please let me know the release date and how close to it you’d ideally like the review to go live.
- I send a monthly newsletter. If you would like to stage a giveaway campaign within this newsletter, please contact me so we can discuss the details.