Over the holidays I did one of the many rampant memes that were making their way around Twitter. Specifically the “1 Like = 1 Fact About a WIP”. I threw it up on my timeline with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who got in on it!
I decided to focus on The Star and the Ocean (natch) and I really enjoyed some of the random facts I was able to share about the story. Some people really found them interesting so I thought I’d share them here too.
10 Random Facts About The Star and the Ocean
- The Star and the Ocean is a story I’ve been working on conceptually since my early teens (like, since I was 13-years old!)
- TSATO, when it’s all said and done, will be two or three books long.
- Despite being the narrative character, May wasn’t even part of the story originally. Discovering her brought the whole story together.
- Originally TSATO was going to be Audrey’s story but when I realized what was going to happen to her I wasn’t sure how to write it.
- Audrey is named after Audrey Hepburn, a nod to my love of Old Hollywood (a love I decided to share with May)
- May’s origin story, while terrible, was originally way more depressing. When I finally started writing I couldn’t bare to do that to her.
- The character of Welkin is inspired my favourite childhood character, Geno from Super Mario RPG 🌟
- When I visualize May’s brother, Kai, I imagine a guy I met in Maui named Jay. He taught me how to play ukulele.
- May’s adoptive family loves her very, very much and I always worry that I’m not giving them enough opportunity to show that.
- Em’s ghostly pale look (silver hair & snow white skin) is ment to symbolize death. It’s ghostly because, well, y’know…
What do you think? Want to know more? For every comment I get I’ll post another random TSATO fact! 😆