Now that I’m back from holidays and back to reality (in more ways than one, sigh) I wanted to jump back into blogging. I have all kinds of posts planned but it didn’t feel right to write anything else until I did the obligatory New Years post.
Let’s be honest: 2016 wasn’t great. But it wasn’t a complete write-off either! Before I start looking ahead, I wanted to take a second to reflect on what was good about the last year.
Reasons 2016 didn’t completely suck
- I finally started writing The Star and the Ocean – a story that’s been in my mind for years!
- I also participated in, and won, NaNoWriMo for the first time ever!
- I made a lot of really amazing new friends through by being active and open online, especially Twitter.
- After a lifetime of putting it off, I finally started getting professional treatment for my depression and anxiety. I feel more in control of my mind and emotions now than I ever have.
- I got back to art for the first time in almost a decade. I now draw, paint, and write regularly and it feels amazing.
- After years of quietly coming out to close friends (and the internet) I finally came out to the rest of my family and friends on National Coming Out Day. I now actively participate in the LGBT+ community as an out bisexual woman.
- I got to watch my brother get married!
- I did a lot of travel and visited places I’ve never been before.
My 2017 Resolutions
- Write every single day (even if it’s just a couple hundred words)
- Read at least one book per month
- Get back into running and yoga (for both my physical and mental health)
- Finish the first draft of The Star and the Ocean
- Edit and publish The Witch’s Patron
- Save more money and make significant progress in paying down my debt (boo, adult problems)
What about you? What was the best thing about 2016 for you? What are you looking forward to in 2017? Tell me all about it in the comments!